Sunday, June 2, 2013

Antlers Forever and Common Core Standards!



So far, I’m keeping my word about blogging more! 

My hubby and I ran several errands yesterday and ended up in Cabela’s. For those of you that don’t know what that is, it is a large outdoor sports store that specializes in all things guns, hunting, camping, etc.

I can’t lie. I wasn’t jumping for joy when we pulled up to the store because as most of my good friends know, I am NOT an outdoorsy person! I eventually found my way to the children’s section and started to enjoy myself a little bit! J

I found a really cute book folks! It is called “Antlers Forever”. It is written by Frances Bloxam and illustrated by Jim Sollers. It is about a young moose who doesn’t realize that his antlers will fall off every winter and grow back each spring. It features rhyming words and a really funny scene where a wise owl tries to help Frances by “screwing his antlers back on”! I snatched the book up right away because I thought it would be PERFECT for a science lesson!

The book even has a section in the back that teaches you about how and why moose antlers (even adults!) fall off and grow back each Spring! I’m telling you, this is a GREAT book! I've included some pictures so you can have a little preview!  Here is a link to the book on Amazon so you can check it out!




Also, in my commitment to blog more and share more, I have typed up the Kindergarten and 1st Grade Common Core Standards for my own personal use but thought someone else may benefit from my format! 

If you can use them, please download them! Click the links to download the Google Docs!

Both documents include the ELA and Math Standards! I hope they are useful for you! OH!! And let me know if I made any mistakes!



Hope everyone is enjoying (or very close to enjoying) their summer breaks!

Mary 

No comments:

Post a Comment