Friday, October 18, 2013

Finally! Some Photos! Also...new (and scary) territory for me!


Some cute photos and some new territory!

In our school district, teachers were tasked with choosing “priority” and “supporting” standards from the Common Core Standards. One priority standard we chose was:
K.R.L.3 Key Ideas and Details: With prompting and support, identify characters, settings, and major events in a story.
So, for the past few weeks in Kindergarten, we have been studying characters and setting through popular storybooks. We read There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat and analyzed the characters and the setting in small groups (photos to comeI promise! For now, the charts are in the background of the upcoming photos!)

Then we retold the story using puppets from Primary Graffitti’s Sub Tub pack. This activity was a hit! Check out the pictures below!

 I placed the old lady mouth onto a small plastic box and the kids retold the story using their own words. One by one, they placed the characters into the old lady's "mouth". They repeated the refrain "I don't know why she swallowed a bat...imagine that!" It. was. ADORABLE. They even put themselves in the correct order of the story! Mainly because I told them I wouldn't help! ;) 








This was also the lesson that my principal observed for my evaluation so I’m glad that it went well! J How do you introduce characters/settings/events in a story?

New Territory (I’m scared to even share this next fact!)
I started a Facebook page for my blog. I would really love it if you would visit my page and “like” it. Click here to be taken to the page. I need to explore the new Facebook page so that I can use it to share my blog posts on it and HOPEFULLY start giveaways! Thanks for following my blog and putting up with how much I still don’t know about the blogging world! Have a wonderful weekend!

Mary

OH! This adorable font is from Krhys Bosland's amazing font collection. Click here to see it on TpT!





No comments:

Post a Comment